Healthy, Sugar-free Cherry Vanilla Pudding
I LOVE this time of year with all the lovely berries coming in season and into the markets! I found some organic cherries on sale this week and took advantage of them. I have been using them in smoothies (Carob cherry superfood smoothie), eating by themselves, and then decided to use them in this lovely, creamy pudding inspired by Choosing Raw.
Cherries are amazing superfoods! Let’s look at the stats!
Ten Great Health Benefits of Eating Cherries
1. Cherries, known as a “super-fruit”, are packed with antioxidants called anthocyanins which aid in the reduction of heart disease and cancer.
2. Cherries are one of the few food sources that contain melatonin, an antioxidant that helps regulate heart rhythms and the body’s sleep cycles.
3. Cherries are an excellent source of beta carotene (vitamin A). In fact they contain 19 times more beta carotene than blueberries and strawberries.
4. Cherries are rich in vitamins C, E, potassium, magnesium, iron, folate and fiber.
5. Cherries are referred to as “brain food”, aiding in brain health and in the prevention of memory loss.
6. Because cherries contain anthocyanins, they can reduce inflammation and symptoms of arthritis and gout.
7. Eating cherries reduces the risk of diabetes.
8. Cherries are a good source of fiber which is important for digestive health.
9. Cherries are a great snack or dessert choice important for weight-maintenance.
10. Because of their powerful anti-inflammatory benefits, cherries are said to reduce pain and joint soreness for runners and athletes after workouts. (source)
Avocados are amazing too! :
Avocados are full of antioxidants and rich in necessary minerals like potassium, calcium, Vitamins A, C and K, folic acid, copper, sodium and very high in dietary fiber. This fruit will make your skin supple and youthful. A healthy fat to incorporate into your diet.
Ingredients are simple and it took only minutes to blend up and have a creamy, dreamy pudding that will delight your taste buds! Let get to it!
Cherry Vanilla Pudding
(serves 2) – double for more
- 1 Large Avocado
- 1/4 cup almond milk (any nut or seed milk will do)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp. vanilla powder (I used powder)
- 13-15 organic cherries – pits removed
- 14 drops NuNaturals stevia – to taste (I used the vanilla flavor)
- pinch of sea salt – to bring out sweetness
Put all ingredients into a high speed blender (I use a Vitamix) and blend till smooth and creamy. Top with any superfoods such as goji berries, hemp seeds or cacao nibs and an extra cherry. ( *You can use maple syrup instead of stevia, but then it wouldn’t be sugar-free. – Stick with stevia only if you are watching sugar intake or on a candida cleanse.*)
The cherry flavor is subtle with hints and notes of vanilla that are fabulous! My husband, Scott, dug into his bowl immediately and gave it a 2 THUMBS UP and a smile. It’s a winner!
I was having all kinds of variations fly through my head and had to whip this one up and share: Blueberry Vanilla Pudding. Basically, use all the same ingredients but substitute frozen or fresh blueberries for the cherries. I am going to make raspberry/chocolate, mango, banana, acai. I made a strawberry version several weeks ago and it is YUMMY! WOW! So many options to play with.
Try this out and let me know what variations you come up with. Have a great weekend! 🙂♥ For more healthy living and organic gardening tips, quick recipes, what I’m eating and inspirational quotes, LOVE me on Facebook. Lots of fun stuff!
May the GREENS be with you!