Sweet Potatao Shepherd’s Pie
I am having so much fun playing with all the fantastic recipes in Kimberly Snyder’s new book The Beauty Detox Foods and sharing with you when I can. This is a hearty dish that is so nourishing and satisfying. It is a sure fire way into anyone’s heart. I have adapted this recipe a bit for time and what I had on hand in the kitchen. I substituted chia seed gel for the egg replacement Kimberly used in recipe. I opted to steam the sweet potatoes to retain some of their nutrients and kept the skins on. This cut out 15 minutes from the original recipe and got that dish into our bellies just a whee bit quicker. Remember, I am hosting a giveaway for her book – go to this link and leave a comment for your chance to win a FREE copy of this gorgeous and educational book. Let us get to the recipe NOW.
- 3 large organic sweet potatoes, chopped into thirds (peel the sweet potatoes, if you like) - I didn't.
- ½ cup almond milk - I used homemade pecan milk (YUM!)
- Coconut oil for greasing the pan
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 ¼ cup peeled and diced carrots - I grated mine.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh (preferably) or frozen peas _ I used frozen organic green beans.
- Kernels from 2 ears of fresh corn - I used frozen organic corn.
- 1 1/4 tsp. fresh thyme leaves or Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock - divided
- 1 Tbs. arrowroot starch
- High quality sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 TB. chia seeds
- 1/3 cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 2-quart glass casserole dish with coconut oil.
- Place sweet potatoes into a steamer dish and steam on high for about 15 minutes till soft.
- Place the drained sweet potato in a large mixing bowl; mash lightly. Add the almond milk. Blend the potato mixture with an electric hand mixer set to medium until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the 2 Tbs. of vegetable broth in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion over medium-low heat until translucent, then add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the celery, carrot, green beans, corn, Italian seasoning, and rosemary. Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Combine the chia seeds and 1/4 cup warm water, stir and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the veggie broth and arrowroot until smooth and add to the skillet. When the mixture gets close to boiling, immediately reduce the heat. Add the sea salt and black pepper, and season to taste. Remove from heat. Stir in the chia seed "egg replacer and water combination". Pour the veggie mixture into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish, spreading it evenly across the bottom. Spoon the potato mixture over the vegetables, spreading to cover all the way to the edges of the dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until top is slightly browned, about 40 minutes. Allow to rest 20 minutes or more before serving.
Now go make this dish and luxuriate in the tastes, textures and health of all the ingredients!
Don’t forget the drawing ends Sunday night and I will announce winner on Monday, April 8th.