Pumpkin Gingerbread Scones
I love FALL and I LOVE pumpkin! I recently bought a huge 16 pound pumpkin, roasted it in the oven and have been making delicious goodies from it. One of my favorite baked goods from my “SAD baking days” were SCONES. I made all kinds of variations – chocolate chip, ginger, cranberry/orange, lemon/blueberry and the list goes on. Traditionally made with LOTS of cold butter, heavy cream, gluten flour and processed sugar. Once I changed my dietary lifestyle 4 years ago to a healthy, plant-based one, Scones and baked goodies went OUT THE WINDOW.
I am SO GRATEFUL that I had the background of making such wonderful baked goods because I got the hands-on, practical experience in the kitchen. NOW, I am able to utilize all that knowledge and expertise and focus that energy into making GLUTEN-FREE goodies that blow my socks off. It’s trial, error and some real winners! We got a WINNER here, my dears!
Being that the ingredients are healthy, gluten-free and vegan – this scone recipe doesn’t make me bloat like a balloon from the gluten and get mucousy from the dairy. Just delightful, flaky and satisfying. As I am writing this, different variations are coming to mind and I see the recipe in my minds-eye – I better write these down so that I can try out and share with you. I’m thinking Apple/Goji scones and Coconut cream scones! What do you think? Want me to play around in the kitchen and create them for you. OK, you twisted my arm. 🙂
Adapted from recipe here.
- 2 1/2 cups sorghum flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour or Oat flour (Bob's Red Mill) or make your own with raw buckwheat groats OR gluten-free oats (just grind in blender or food processor till smooth - that's what I did)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice/mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp. pink himalayan salt
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla powder OR 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups pureed pumpkin - fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut the solid coconut oil into small chunks using a spoon and sporadically drop into the dry ingredients. Once mixed, you'll want a few slightly larger coconut oil lumps.
- Add the pumpkin puree and stir together until the batter is sticky - half way through, I used my hands to mix and knead the batter - it worked MUCH BETTER.
- On a piece of parchment paper, Flatten the batter into a large round circle - about 1.5 or 2 inches thick - then cut into 12 pizza slice shapes. Carefully transfer the slices onto a parchment lined cooking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. I find that the flavors meld and POP after cooling a bit once out of oven. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Pair with my raw cacao hemp seed nutella and be prepared to be wooed. 🙂
Want to see more gluten-free scone recipes? I am also thinking about trying some lower sugar variations – utilizing stevia.
Enjoy these little beauties and let me know if you have any questions. ♥May the GREENS be with You! and Be Inspired! Kibby